How to Wifi tether your iPhone
This is a guest post by Michael . If you want to guest post on this blog, check out the guidelines here.
The Apple iPhone is an amazing and versatile device. A most impressive feature is its ability to serve as an internet connection or even a wireless internet connection, also called a mobile hotspot. So if you own an iPhone and have a 3G plan from AT&T or Verizon, you may not require a distinct mobile broadband service for your home network.
Home isn’t the only place this feature is useful, however. Most of us need our laptops at all times, and access limited to just the cafessimply isn’t good enough. One solution to this problem is the mobile broadband dongle, but these dongle-based services can be expensive. In this article, we’ll show you how to use the iPhone instead, step by step.
Also Read: How to Wifi Tether Nokia Phones
Tethering is the process of connecting client devices to a host device that will provide the internet connectivity. To some, the word tether might suggest a wired connection, and it can be, but this doesn’t have to be the case. A mobile hotspot via Bluetooth is a prime example of a wireless tether, which is the kind we’re going to focus on here.
Tethering via your network
1. Mobile networks, such as AT&T and Verizon, usually require customers to purchase a tethering plan. If you wish to connect in this manner yet do not have that component, call the provider, and then add it to your cellular package.
2. Access the iOS4 settings: On the iPhone home screen, there is a grey settings icon; tap it.
3. Choose the network by accessing the network settings section. To do this from inside the iOS4 settings we accessed in step two, tap the icon labeled “General,” and then tap the icon labeled “Network.”
4. Next, we’ll enable tethering on the iPhone by tapping the “Set up Internet Tethering” option.
5. Choose either USB (wired) or Bluetooth (wireless). There is built-in support for Wi-Fi, however, Apple has blocked it, so if you want to use it, the only option is to “jailbreak” the iPhone, which we discuss more in the next section.
6. Now that the mobile hotspot is active, you’ll have to connect it to it from your laptop (Mac, PC or Linux). In many cases, the laptop will connect to it automatically since it only has one option. If it is not the only option, then this step varies between systems, but it is usually a simple matter of choosing the appropriate listed connection.
Tethering via a Jailbroken iPhone
Note: Using a jailbroken iPhone, which is legal in most countries, provides at least two benefits: It allows you to avoid the tethering component of your mobile plan, and it allows access to the Wi-Fi feature that Apple disabled.
1. Open the Cydia app, which is available on jailbroken iPhones. To do that, tap the Cydia icon on the home screen.
2. Using Cydia, search for the app MyWi: Type mywi in the Clydia navigation bar, and tap the search button.
3. Once found, tap MyWi, and then tap the “Install” option in the upper-right corner. The “Confirm” option will appear in the upper-right corner. You’ll need to tap this in order to initiated download and then automatic installation.
4. Once the installation phase completes, return to the home screen, and then tap the MyWi icon.
5. In the MyWi settings, tap the “On” button next to “Enable Tethering.” Finally, choose a network name, at which point the Wi-Fi network is active. You also have access to USB and Bluetooth from within MyWi, if you prefer them.
If you like this post, Share it to your friends. Dont forget to Subscribe our Feeds, Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
If you like this post, Share it to your friends. Dont forget to Subscribe our Feeds, Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.
“There is built-in support for Wi-Fi, however, Apple has blocked it, so if you want to use it, the only option is to “jailbreak” the iPhone” LOL this only proved what I already knew: iPhone is a rubbish device. Get yourself Samsung Galaxy S2 and you will realise what the proper smartphone should be! I’m just laughing on iPhone santas now!
Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers?
I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything
I’ve worked hard on. Any recommendations?
Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is fundamental and all. However think about if you added some great pictures or video clips
to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with
pics and video clips, this website could undeniably be one of the
greatest in its field. Excellent blog!