Windows operating system is one of the leading operating system developed by Microsoft and The Ubuntu open source operating system is not looking least for windows which was baked by canonical. Some may think Windows and Ubuntu stick in opposite poles. Yes in some what that’s true but not that much far and it is possible to manipulate the file between these two operating system. Same as sharing the files in windows workgroup, we can also do that in Ubuntu by just adding the operating system to the same workgroup of the windows. Here let you know how to enable the sharing of files between the Windows 8 operating system and Ubuntu operating system. In the below portion i have explained in simple way. This tutorial will also work with windows 7 and also works with Ubuntu live cd.
Before Configure the Ubuntu operating system to share the files from and to the windows 8 operating system, we have to know some basic information about the windows 8 operating system.
Configure Windows to Share and Access the Files From Ubuntu
You must know the workgroup name of the windows PC by simply find the Workgroup from the computer Properties or use the following command in the command prompt to identify the details of the workstation.
net config workstation
Note the User name and the Workstation Domain name.
Turn On the Network sharing option of the drive you want to share with the Ubuntu PC. Make sure that the drive is shared and can access by Everyone.
Configure Ubuntu to Share and Access the Files From Windows
We are now in the second phase of the sharing process. Prepare the Ubuntu PC to do handshake with windows PC. Its Simply done by installing a package in to your Ubuntu PC.
Open the Terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T). Install the samba package using the command given below
sudo apt-get install python-glade2 system-config-samba
Note : Confirm the installation by acknowledge it with yes. Provide the Sudo password if required
Open Samba and you can find it using the Dash Lens.
- Configure the Ubuntu PC to share the file using the Samba Server.
- Click Preference and select Server Settings.
Change the Workgroup name same as that of windows PC and click OK.
- Click Preference and select Samba Users.
- Click on the Add User button.
- Create New Samba User by providing the appropriate details as shown in the below image. After Provide all the details click OK to finish the user creation process.
Note : Windows User Name noted in step 1
- Click on the ‘+’ button to add the location to share with Windows.
- In Create Samba Share box select the directory which you want to share. Check the Writable, Visible check box. Finally click OK.
Select the Access Permission for the User by navigate to the Access tab near by Basic tab.
That’s all now you can share the file locally between the Ubuntu operating system and Windows operating system. In the network section of the both PC you can view that both the PC are connected and available to share. (Screenshots below)
Network section in Ubuntu PC
Network Section in Windows PC
Now both the Ubuntu and Windows PC are ready to share the files between each other. You can transfer your files between your windows and ubuntu pc without hassle.
- To transfer windows PC to windows PC, Follow the Step 1 in both windows operating systems
- Set the IP address of both the system to automatic, if you not sure about the IP configuration.
- Connect both the PC under same LAN (Network).
If you have any doubts in sharing the files between Ubuntu PC and Windows PC drop in comment Section.