Ubuntu the solid Linux distribution for the PC users which establish the occurrence over the world wide have lots of options with in it. The main and the sophisticated option within Ubuntu is the Online Accounts, which manage your online accounts and make you to control over your social medias in single click and also displays the feed updateds frequently. Ubuntu had its inbuilt application to serve the socialmedias like Facebook, twitter, Google, Live etc. You can configure any of the accounts listed below within the Ubuntu.
- Windows Live
Configure social accounts with the Ubuntu is so simple by providing the User name and the Password of the corresponding authentication page displayed inside the online account window but while configuring the Facebook account it will redirect to the new browser window / tab and display the blank page or a security warning.
This is because, redirection of the Facebook page to the unsecured HTTP at the time of authentication process. The same thing had happened with the last version of Ubuntu and the Facebook fixed the issue soon. But now it seems it will take more time or may not address this issue.
While configuring the Facebook under Ubuntu Online Accounts it displays the security message in the browser window as shown below.
“SECURITY WARNING: Please treat the URL above as you would your password and do not share it with anyone.”
and the configuration process got terminated.
We can successfully configure Facebook account inside Ubuntu Online Accounts using some simple steps.
- Open the terminal windows (Ctrl + Alt + T)
- Type the following command in the terminal:
sudo gedit /usr/share/accounts/providers/facebook.provider
(Note : Enter the sudo password if required)
The Command opens the facebook provider file for editing in the text editor.
- Just add the below line to the opened file before the </group> tag at the bottom as shown
<setting type=”as” name=”AllowedSchemes”>[‘https’,’http’]</setting>
- Save the File by clicking on the save button.
- Close the File and Exit the Terminal.
- Now open back the Online Accounts in Ubuntu System Settings.
- Click Add Account and Select Facebook
- Enter the Facebook Login ID and password. Click on the Login Button
- Now you successfully synced the Facebook Account with the Ubuntu online Accounts.
The social media clients in ubuntu will automatically make sync with the all configured accounts. If you have any doubts, kindly drop us in comment section.